Javascript Menu by
Skip to main content
more options

Here are answers to some of our most frequently asked questions. If you don't find what you are looking for here, please check the items under the Quick Links menu in site's top navigation, or contact us!

Building/Room Temperature Controls

E&S only controls utilities to the first manhole/service connection to a building. Internal building controls are maintained through Facilities Management. Depending on the type of system and controls in your building, the method to adjust or repair them varies. The best place to start is with your Building Coordinator. They can help determine the most efficient method to address individual space temperature issues. You can find the name and contact information for your Building Coordinator here: Enter the name or facility code for your building, click Search for a Facility. Once you find your building, click Building Coordinators in the left hand navigation bar.

Dig Safely NY! Utility Locating for Projects and Events

Know what's below - call before you dig! Contact Chuck Porter at 607-327-0635 or 607-255-5322 for Cornell utilities, and Dig Safely NY at 811 (or 800-962-7962) for other purveyors.

If the ground is to be punctured by tent or volleyball stakes, fence posts, or any other means, an underground utility line may be damaged. Liability costs associated with this type of damage, which can involve loss of life, can be extreme!

Everyone planning to break ground is required, by law, to notify Dig Safely NY  at 800-962-7962 at least three (3) days before breaking ground. The UFPO then notifies the various utility owners of the activity. The owners then mark out the utility lines, if any, and notify the event planner with a “utilities marked” or an “all clear.” Local tent renters are aware of these procedures and will contact the UFPO. They will not erect their tents at Cornell until a survey of the utilities has been completed.

Facility Tours

If you are interested in touring any of the Utilities Plants, please contact us for an appointment:

Report a Natural Gas Odor

Contact Facilities Services Customer Service immediately at 607-255-5322.

Report a Water Main Break (or find the status of a known issue)

Contact Facilities Services Customer Service immediately at 607-255-5322.

Utility Outage Information

Facilities Services Customer Service handles communication for all campus utility outages. Please contact them at 607-255-5322, check the University Operating Status webpage (, and/or subscribe to the Special Conditions listserv

Utility Plant Data

If you are interested in operating or performance data for any of our plants, please contact the appropriate plant manager, or contact us via our online form.

Utility Shutdowns

  • Shutdowns are scheduled through a formal process.  Written shutdown notices are distributed to all parties involved, in addition to appropriate safety and plant staff.
  • Flagging, signage and safety precautions ensure people are aware of and kept safely away from operations, maintenance or construction activities.
  • A formal communications plan is utilized to plan and execute all major projects or maintenance activities.
  • If you have any questions about a particular shutdown, please contact Customer Service at 607-255-5322.