With their unique building knowledge, staff involvement is vital to maximize energy conservation performance. It’s easy to get involved
Turn it Off / Shut it Down
- Computer monitors: Turn off all when not needed
- Computers: Set power save mode to minimize power use when idle
- Computers: Shut off if possible nights and weekends
- Freezers and Refrigerators: Shut off all that are not in use
- Research Equipment: Shut off all that is not is use
- Space Heaters: Minimize the use of, shut off when gone
- Fume Hood Sashes: Close when not in use
- Greenhouse Lighting: Shut off when not needed
- Growth Chambers: Shut off when not in use,
- Unplug equipmentthat drains energy when not in use (i.e. cell phone chargers, fans, coffeemakers, desktop printers, radios, etc.).
- Growth Chambers: Widen heating/cooling setpoints with HVAC Shop Assistance
- Thermostats: Lower heating, raise cooling setpoints with HVQC Shop assistance
- Preventive Maintenance: Ask us about conservation focused PM for your building
- Coordinate with vending machine vendor to turn off advertising lights.
- Keep heating vents unobstructed.
- Use energy efficient ENERGY STAR® products
- Use natural lighting or daylighting. Turn off lights near windows if feasible
- Use task lighting. Instead of lighting an entire room, focus the light where needed and directly illuminate work areas.
- Close or adjust window blinds to block direct sunlight to reduce cooling needs during warm months
- In the winter months, open blinds on south-facing windows during the day to allow sunlight to naturally heat your workspace. At night, close the blinds to reduce heat loss at night.